With all of your outdoor summer chores taken care of, you might think that it is time to put your lawn mower away for a few months. Not so fast. Fall is the perfect time to handle some of that mower maintenance you may have been neglecting. Taking care of your mower’s basic needs today will mean that is it ready to get to work once spring arrives.
Getting Your Mower Ready for Winter Storage
You wouldn’t dream of packing away your spring clothes without washing them first, right? So why would you roll your lawn mower into your shed without giving it a good scrubbing too? Keeping your lawn mower working well requires keeping it in good shape. That begins by making sure it is free of ground dirt and debris that can cause rust, clogs or worse over the cold winter months. Take a few minutes in the fall to make sure that every part of your mower is clean and lubricated before relegating it to storage.
So, what other things should you be doing to maintain your lawn mower this fall? Here are some basic tips to follow:
- Remove the battery. Cold temperatures can sap the battery of its power. To maintain a healthy lifespan, remove the battery and store it somewhere warm and safe during the winter months.
- Drain the gas and oil. Leaving both gas and oil in the mower while not in use can clog or gum up the engine. This can cause some real problems in the spring.
- Sharpen the blades. Mower blades need to be sharpened annually to keep them working well. Take care of this maintenance chore in the fall so your mower is ready to get to work when spring arrives.
- Remove spark plugs. Store them separately when your lawn mower is not in use.
- Clean air filters. This is essential to keeping your lawn mower running smoothly.
- Check for any broken, cracked or overly used pieces. Give your lawn mower a good check every fall and replace any parts that look to be too old or broken. This is also a good time to check tires and wheels for wear and tear.
Call in Professional Help
If fall maintenance on your lawnmower is too much for you to handle – or you simply do not have the time, consider calling in the experts at Ralph Helm Inc., the leading lawnmower equipment service center in the Fox Valley since 1923. Whether you need a part, a whole new lawn mower or simply want the one you have serviced, the professional staff at Ralph Helm Inc. is ready to offer the help you need.